After I had spent my post-call day with Eric on Wednesday, I told him that maybe we could go to Sea World some time when I'm off. He turned that into fact when he found out that I was off today. Again, Patrick took him to school so we could get stuff done at home and so he could get used to going to school every day.
We picked him up around 11am so we could have lunch and then head to Sea World. When he saw us, he immediately headed for Patrick (passing me up) and acted very excited, then he came to me to hug my leg. How could we not love that kind of reaction?
We decided on the Panera Bread located near Sea World because I like their Asian Chicken Salad. Eric requested a grilled cheese sandwich. I was watching him eating everything except the crust on his sandwich and I got my iPhone out to take a picture. He asked me if I was taking a picture of his milk, then he asked me if I would take a picture of his milk. I took this picture (I cropped out the milk). I love that expression on his face. I'm just a little biased, but I think he's so handsome in this picture. :)
He finished his whole grilled cheese sandwich and two yogurt tubes that came with the kids' meal, but he barely touched his chocolate milk.
The first thing we saw when we got to Sea World was a small stingray "exhibit". Supposedly when the new Sea World waterpark called Aquatica opens in March 2012, they will have an area where people can swim with stingrays. Eric didn't actually touch the stingrays in the little pool, but he did seem fascinated.
Eric always asks to see Shamu when we visit Sea World, except that there were only two shows scheduled, one at noon and one at 3pm. We didn't get to the park until 12:30pm, so we missed that first show. After a lot of negotiating, we convinced Eric to go to the 1pm "Azul" show, which features Beluga whales and bottlenose dolphins. Natalie used to really love this show when she was Eric's age.
Before the "Azul" show started, there was a guy that was doing some pre-show entertainment involving some water spouts and getting the audience wet. Eric asked what he was doing and Patrick told him that the guy was trying to make people laugh. Eric replied in a serious tone of voice, "Why is he trying to make people laugh. I'm not laughing."
At least when the show started, he seemed to be interested, until it got to be about 20 minutes or so into the show and he said "this show is long". We knew that was our cue to leave. Patrick asked me who I thought would be the first one to fall asleep in the car, me or Eric. My answer is always, "Me." Sure enough, it was me. :) Eric didn't fall asleep at all on the way home.
Natalie came home and we found out that she didn't make the cut for the competitive swim team that she tried out for last week. I was very disappointed. She didn't seem disappointed at all, however, so she made it very easy for me. She seemed almost excited about the idea of training with her previous coach at Lifetime Fitness. Patrick is going to try to talk to the head coach next week (he wasn't there this afternoon) to find out what she can at least work on. It seemed like they didn't accept that many new kids, so a lot of the kids that were on the team last year probably came back.
I still felt bad about it when we went to pick up Alex from the school bus, so I gave each child whatever drink they wanted--all from different places, of course. Natalie has been asking about getting an Icee from the corner grocery store, so I stopped off there to get her one. Alex wanted a chocolate banana shake from Sonic, so I stopped off there to get him one. Eric wanted a Strawberries and Cream Frappucino from Starbucks, which was my fault because I myself wanted to stop there to get my beloved Mocha Frappucino.
Patrick picked Anthony up from school then went to a big stadium parking lot to practice driving. That's still a work in progress. They picked up Schlotzky's for dinner (Anthony's favorite) and Cinnabons for breakfast tomorrow. We then watched the fourth Harry Potter movie, "The Goblet of Fire", something Natalie has been requesting to see. She started reading all the books and now she's watching all of the movies. I guess spoiling my kids made me feel better.


1 comment:
Nick says, "Tell Natalie that Michael Phelps probably didn't make the first swim team he tried out for."
John says, "Michael Phelps probably just went to get a big gigantic breakfast when he didn't make the team...of course, that's what he'd do if he did make the team too."
Post a Comment