Friday, December 30, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandma!

I was on call last tonight, so today was a blur. We opened more gifts from Grandma and Grandpa yesterday, and this was one of them. Eric got an Cars Aquadoodle set. The included Lightning McQueen makes tracks on the mat when his gas tank is filled with water. He also got a Cars Play-Doh and puzzle toys. That boy is Cars crazy and he loves all of his Cars gifts!

In the morning, Anthony had soccer practice at school and I took the other three to Best Buy and Target. Alex had a gift certificate burning a hole in his pocket and he wanted some portable headphones (in-ear). He ended up buying a couple pairs and Natalie bought one pair with the money she got from Lolo and Lola. We also went out for lunch at The Lodge.

The Lodge is closing at the end of this year, so we wanted to give Anthony the experience of going there plus Grandma and Grandpa wanted to try it out too. Alex wasn't interested and the little ones weren't either. We all had the salad while Anthony (who doesn't like salad) had the potato bisque. Grandma, Grandpa, and Patrick had the steak tenderloin while Anthony and I had the salmon. We all had the Nutella souffle while Grandpa had the citrus cheesecake. Let's just say that we all enjoyed ourselves.

My night on call wasn't too bad but due to my own fault, I didn't get more than about 4 to 4 1/2 hours of sleep. I was up for a bit when I got home but then I had to take a nap. I ended up missing lunch. We were planning to go out for dinner for Grandma's birthday so when I got hungry after my nap, I just had a snack of chips with cheese dip. Of course my two chips and cheese-loving boys helped me out. Natalie was lamenting about how she can't have chips while she has braces on, so we compromised by eating at the kitchen counter so she wouldn't be able to "see" us. Alex didn't want to stand, so he brought over chairs from the dining table. He didn't want to be in this picture, of course, but I love seeing my kids doing things together, even if it's just eating a shared favorite.

Grandma wanted to go to El Mirasol for her birthday dinner. She made us promise not to tell the restaurant, though, because she didn't want to be fussed over. Hmmm, that sounds just like Patrick! In any case, we all had our usual meals. Natalie shared a Tampiquena with Alex for the first time. She loves steak! For dessert, we got two Tres Leches cakes to share while Grandpa got the fruit empanada with vanilla ice cream.

It was nice to be able to spend Grandma's birthday with her. The kids got to give her birthday hugs and kisses. Tomorrow we're planning a low-key New Year's Eve celebration.

No comments: