I was postcall today, but I had a great night so I was able to go about without having to take a nap. I had lunch with my friend Anne Marie, who is retiring from the military. I never get to go out with girlfriends and I wasn't on a tight schedule so lunch was nice and relaxing.
Around 2:30pm, I headed to Eric's school for his Christmas Party. They were going to have it after nap time, which meant that when I got there, there were still several kids that were asleep. There is a computer room just outside of Eric's classroom so there were actually a handful of parents already there waiting for the party. Of course my child was not one of the ones asleep. Eric had his head up looking around. He watched me walking in and he smiled. I had not seen him since yesterday so seeing him was especially sweet.
There was a sign-up sheet for party food, but most of what they requested was "sweet treats". Eric's teacher kept putting sweet item after sweet item on the plates that the parents had brought. The picture above shows the M & M cookie, ding-dong type treat, mini-cupcake, and chocolate pudding. After that she added donut holes. At least they had a couple of more healthy choices like the fruit (grapes, pineapple, and apples), a cheese stick, and carrot sticks. The carrot sticks were last and as the teacher put it on the kids' plates, several of them were already saying that they weren't going to eat it--my son included. Out of 12 kids, only one ate the carrot sticks. What a waste of food!
Luckily, Eric didn't eat much more than what you see in the picture above. He ate most of the fruit. I ate the carrot sticks.
After the food they had a book gift exchange. Eric was one of the last ones to receive a book and he was so excited. He managed to wait until we got home to open the gift. Natalie was at home when we got home and she not only helped him open the gift, but she also read the book to him. I never get tired of seeing the older ones read to the younger ones.


No comments:
Post a Comment