Thursday, September 30, 2010

Magical Thinking and Bandaids

I didn't take any photos today, so this is just a photo I took on Monday when Eric was playing at that new restaurant with the kid's outdoor play area. It's so cute (and convenient) that when he gets hurt, all we usually need to do is kiss the boo-boo or put ice on it. The ice is usually on for only a few seconds but that's apparently enough to make him feel better. We have an ice pack ready to go in the freezer. He knows exactly where it is and when he needs it, he opens the freezer and gets the pack himself then returns it when he's done.

Today I was helping him wash his hands. The medicine cabinet in that bathroom was open and he saw the Disney Cars bandaids that I had bought specifically for him just in case we needed them. The conversation went something like this:

Eric: Lightning McQueen!

Me: I bought those bandaids just for you, Eric.

Eric: I want a Lightning McQueen bandaid.

Me: No, you only get those when you have a boo-boo.

(By this time we had finished at the sink and I was shooing him out of the bathroom.)

Me: Why don't you go back upstairs and finish watching that movie?

Eric: I want a Lightning McQueen bandaid! (He's starting to cry at this point.)

Me: Bandaids are only for when you have a boo-boo. Do you have a boo-boo? (I suspected that he would make up a boo-boo at this point, and I was right.)

Eric: (He stopped crying and nodded his head.)

Me: Where is your boo-boo?

Eric: (He hesitates for a second, then looks down and points at his left knee.)

Me: Do you want me to kiss your boo-boo?

Eric: Noooo!

Me: Okay, let's put a bandaid on your boo-boo.(We then went to the bathroom and I got out one of the bandaids.) Where's your boo-boo?

Eric: (First he looks down again at his right knee then he looks at his left knee and points to a spot on his left knee.)

Me; (I put the bandaid on.) Does your boo-boo feel better now?

Eric: (Nods his head and runs happily out of the bathroom.)


So, I guess ice packs, kisses, AND Lightning McQueen bandaids work for Eric's boo-boos.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Amazing what those magic bandaids can do!