Monday, September 13, 2010

The Mini-Pyramid

Alex's main teachers (excluding elective teachers) integrate their teaching material with each other so the kids can see how each subject relates in the real world and then they create one project. His project this first 9 weeks is to make a pyramid. All weekend he's been working on building this miniature pyramid. Later he will make a larger one, and I'm told by work colleagues that have had kids go to Alex's school that the pyramids are rather impressive. Like this miniature one, one side folds down to reveal a graphic of stairs and such inside the pyramid. Alex also had to write his name in hieroglyphics and he put this on one side of the pyramid. We all think this is a pretty cool project. Even Natalie is currently inspired to try to get into the same school so she can make a pyramid too.

One other interesting fact for me is that for his projects (last year included), Alex looks for certain papers. He always has an idea of what he wants, we look for it in my old scrapbook paper stash, and he usually finds something that he is happy with. He found this paper in a stack that I've probably owned for longer than I want to admit. This is also the reason why I haven't thrown any of my old scrapbook papers away. My kids need them. *WINK*

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I'm thinking it gives you the perfect reason to buy NEW papers!