Monday, March 17, 2008

Majorly Bummed

I had a complication in one of my patients today, so I'm majorly bummed. :-( I told my resident that in six years of working there, I had yet to present a case at Morbidity and Mortality Conference, until now, that is. ACKKK! One of my colleagues, who is board-certified in Internal Medicine with a subspecialty in Pulmonary Medicine/Critical Care AND board-certified in Anesthesiology told me (when I asked him) that he didn't see anything wrong with how I managed the case. I know that sometimes the unexpected happens in medicine, but I wanted to make sure that I did everything I could to prevent this from happening in the first place. In this way, hopefully I'll learn how to keep this from happening in the future.

This is why I didn't go into the Primary Care field, because I can get pretty wrapped up in the patient. With my chosen field I can be more detached. It sounds a little cold, I know, but I have found that this is much better for my stress level and my personal life in the end. Still, I'm going to be checking on this patient first thing tomorrow. I hope that this complication has resolved by then.

6 comments:

Pam Sivage said...

Good luck, I know this must be so hard for you, hopefully the patient will be fine!

Karen said...

Hugs to you!!

Catherine said...

Hopefully everything will have a good resolution! Sending good thoughts to you!

The Mom said...

HUGS!! I know how you feel and I hope that the complication has resolved itself!!

Carolyn F said...

Hang in there -- we're all human! If you are giving the best possible care you can, that's all that can be expected.

Emma said...

Hope the complication is resolved. And you don't sound cold at all - just maybe overly caring! I'd have to find a way to distance myself too - or I'd be a bawling lump!!

Big hugs!