Sunday, March 16, 2008

Signs of Affection

DH and I love to smother our kids with hugs and kisses. That isn't the case with some other families, I know. We just can't help show them how much we love them, and we hope that they grow up not being afraid to show affection, too.

My 8-year-old is in this "phase" right now where he still gives me hugs and kisses at night when I'm tucking him into bed, but during the day he would rather make a big show and run away from me than to let me give him a quick peck on the cheek. My 12-year-old, on the other hand, has never hesitated to let me give him a quick kiss on the cheek (or vice versa), even if it's in public. My 5-year-old, on the other hand, just "oozes" public displays of affection to family AND friends. My good friend kids me about how my DD just "hangs on" her DS all the time (they're in the same class). He himself is a "ladies' man" even at age 6, so he doesn't really mind this at all.

On Friday, I was on the floor playing with my 11-month old, when he put his forehead against mine and drooled on me. Later I asked him to "give me a kiss" and he did the same thing. He's not too gentle at this age, so I knew I had to be careful. DH and I have both gotten fat lips from him before. I just thought this was the cutest little "trick". I tried this several times this weekend, and he doesn't always do it, but when he does, it's just the best feeling! I really hope that he is affectionate when he grows up, especially since he is my baby! :)

7 comments:

The Mom said...

AWW that is so sweet! Ian actually broke my glasses the first time I got a "kiss" from him!!

The Mom said...

AWW that is so sweet! Ian actually broke my glasses the first time I got a "kiss" from him!!

Karen said...

How adorable!!

Rachael said...

OH my, that is SO sweet!!! Gotta love little drool kisses!!!

I'm still getting fat lips here and head bumps from Jack! LOL

Catherine said...

That is so, so sweet! Nothing like baby kisses!

SALTZWORKS said...

Our families must be quite a lot alike :)
DS#1 has always been my 'slightly aloof' one, but still he appreciates the verbal sentiments.
DS#2 is my huggy boy - he is all about hugs - STILL, at age 20!
DD has taught her entire Kindergarten class that they have to all hug before leaving each day, good thing her class is relatively small!

Emma said...

Aww - that is adorable!