Sunday, June 14, 2009

The New Closet

As promised, here are the pictures of our new closet from earlier in the week. If this works out all right, I should be at work when this blog entry posts.

First, I have to show this picture of the water pipe that DH drilled a hole in. He laughed about how high the odds were of hitting this pipe (I had him hold it so you can get a good perception of the size) right in the middle out of about 40 feet of wall space. The pipe was vertical and luckily contained cold water rather than the hot water that a pipe just below it was carrying.

The drywall guy put up the track at the top of each wall and DH installed the rest. This is the first wall that DH finished, and it happens to be his part of the closet. He said he wanted to get good at installing before going over and installing my part of the closet. The very back of the closet that DH is working on in this picture will be completely for overflow storage, like our Christmas tree and some toys that I try to buy ahead of time for miscellaneous birthday parties. Notice the little helper. :)

This is my part of the closet, right after you walk into the door. It's also the part that collapsed first. We've found that having all of this organization stuff in here instead of just one shelf over a closet rod, really increases the amount of storage space we have here. I've been trying to put my stuff in a way that makes sense to me. It seems like so much space, but then DH points out that we're not done filling the closet with our stuff yet.

This is the long wall where the closet shelving collapsed second. Most of this wall will be for storage items like the luggage, some boy clothes for DS#3 to grow into, and some old sparring gear from karate that we're saving for someone who might need them in the future (since there were so expensive to begin with). The shelves on the left are for my shoes. I discovered when I put the shoes in that I underestimated the amount of shoes that I have. So far it fits, but looking at what I have makes me want to buy more...

I thought I would throw in a cute picture of DS#3 sitting amongst the stuff that was still in the bathroom before the complete closet install. DS#1 came in to help out before he went to soccer camp and I guess DS#3 wanted to sit on that little ledge next to the shower. Of course he can't see a camera without doing his cheesy smile. :)

3 comments:

The Mom said...

Wow you have a huge closet!! Wow!!

Generic Universe said...

Bah, after having a basement, no basement and a large master closet just doesn't compare. I would gladly trade half of the closet(or more!) for a basement (a certain someone might not agree) but the rock here in SA makes a basement so expensive it just isn't practical.

Catherine said...

Your closet looks awesome!