Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Simpler Father's Day

DH was a bit burned out on eating out a lot earlier this week, so he decided on a simpler Father's Day. After going to church this morning (he even went out yesterday to get the usual donuts for Sunday morning), we went to the neighborhood pool. I dropped everyone off and got Subway sandwiches to bring back for everyone to eat.

DS#3 really loves being in the pool now. The weather has been hot, hot, hot, so the water is warm and really feels good when you get in because it's SO hot. Did I mention that it's hot? I got out some cheapie water guns that we have in the toy bag, and DS#3 looked so funny trying to shoot them. He can only shoot them if he uses his thumbs to pull the trigger, so he looks a bit funny when he plays with them. Sometimes he ended up shooting himself with them!

This alligator towel used to belong to DS#2. DS#3 wore it for maybe one minute, but that was enough time to snap this picture. :) The rest of the kids mostly played by splashing each other in the pool. DD even swam a few laps back and forth. She doesn't swim as fast as everyone else, but she did it for the fun of it. They have a swim meet tomorrow and they only got to go to swim practice a couple of times last week, so this was good.

After swimming, we got home, took our showers and baths, and DS#3, DH, and I all took naps. Later, I saw DS#3 happily "reading" a book on the stair landing. He was turning the pages and saying what sounded like random letters.

DS#2 finished the Lego Star Wars Republic Attack Gunship that we bought on Friday. He started building it yesterday and did this pretty much by himself. I think he might have asked DS#1 for a little help yesterday. I thought that it was great that the two brothers could still play together despite their tastes diverging over time.

For dinner, we just popped some Pizza Rolls in the oven and we watched the Chicken Little Blu-Ray that DH got from Netflix. He's signed us up at least for the summer and we've been getting our money's worth. Right now the rest of them are watching Hellboy II, something I wasn't really interested in.

Tomorrow we have a swim meet and I'm also working late. The kids don't have any summer camps going on this week so it SHOULD be more relaxed otherwise. Of course we're gearing up for our big trip to Washington D.C., so it won't be a "free" week. It's a good thing we were relaxing this weekend!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

It really sounds like you had a great time!