Monday, May 17, 2010

Last Children's Symphony

Sunday was the last of our series of tickets for the Children's Symphony. This time Natalie decided to play the cello, but Eric wasn't interested. Eric said, "I do not want to pay the geetar." He was napless and he was showing it. Both of them did also make tambourines from small paper plates with bells threaded through holes and decorated with crayons and musical stickers.

This picture just cracks me up. I had my hand raised to get their attention so they would all be looking at me for a picture and Eric raised his hand too and gave his cheesy smile. Patrick and I had originally planned that Alex and Natalie would go with us to these concerts, but Alex hasn't really been interested since the first concert. Natalie wasn't all that keen on going either, but she did. Eric had to go napless for these concerts, but thankfully he has stayed quiet.

Eric loves music but last time he got a bit restless and kept getting on and off my lap. Not this time! This time he sat pretty still in his own seat, and he and Natalie both got conductor batons. Both of them were waving them around when the orchestra started playing and they really had a lot of fun.

Natalie also made this "straw oboe" and had fun playing it. During the concert I asked her if she was interested in playing a band or orchestra instrument later when she gets into middle school (when they start having band or orchestra classes in our public schools here). She nodded and said she wanted to play the bass. I looked at her and told her that because chances were that she would not be very tall, she should consider something a little smaller like the cello that she had played earlier.

I just realized how disorganized this post looks. Oh well-- we had a fun time. The big boys had fun too, playing on the PS3 while we were gone.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

I really think this is an amazing program!