Thursday, November 05, 2009

Letting Go

DH and I have always tried to be very involved parents. We like to go to all of the kids' "events", even when it creates some hardship for us. Luckily, we've been able to do this, with DH "staying at home" and with me having regular and often flexible hours with this current job. Occasionally we've relied on family to come to town and babysit the younger kid(s) when I have to work while DH shuttles the other kids to their activities by himself.

Occasionally in the last year or so we've realized that we need to give up some of our "responsibility". Sometimes we have to ask family to come visit so they can look after one or more kids when I have to work so that DH can more freely shuttle the other kids to their activities. A few times we've asked friends of ours to take a child with them until we could pick them up. We've realized that we can't be everywhere with them, so sometimes we have to ask for help from other parents. Never before has their regular participation in something relied on another parent--until today.

DS#2 wanted to join this "Media Club" that meets after school on Thursdays until 4PM. The teacher heading up the club is his Gifted and Talented (GT) teacher and he just adores her. After school on Thursdays, DH already takes DD to her piano lesson at 4PM. I don't get home until 4:30PM, shortly before he gets back home with DD. DS#2 has to be picked up on time or he's out of the club. Since one of his good friends is also in the club and he lives in our neighborhood, today his mother picked up DS#2 and took him to their house until I could pick him up. Everything went well, of course, but DH and I just have to take deep breaths and "let go" a little.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

This is a really recurring problem when you have multiple children involved in multiple activities. :) It eases up some when one of them starts to drive....which is why I REALLY miss my drivers.