Friday, December 10, 2010

Simple Pleasures

The kids always love to throw pennies in the fountains at North Star Mall. I love getting photos of them from behind like this. I gave Eric and Natalie about seven pennies apiece, so for once they didn't ask for more pennies once they finished throwing them in. Sometimes it's easier when they're young. Giving them simple pleasures like this is enough to make them happy.

Eric, Natalie, Anthony and I went to North Star Mall tonight for dinner and dessert (at Haagen-Dazs, of course). Alex was at a debate tournament and Patrick was hanging out at home after taking him there. I don't necessarily go to the mall to shop. I like to go to the mall in order to get out of the house and walk around for a bit. Usually it's just me and the little ones, but Anthony seemed to want a break from working on a school project.

While we were there, I noticed that Anthony seemed upset. He's not very demonstrative, so it wasn't obvious, except maybe to Patrick and me. I asked him if he was upset and he said "yes" but he didn't elaborate. I don't like to pry information from him because I figure that if he wants to tell me, he will. Usually he ends up telling Patrick, which is good enough.

He told Patrick at home later after Patrick got home from picking up Alex (who went to a birthday party for about an hour after the tournament). Apparently, his girlfriend told him tonight that she just wanted to be "just friends". Anthony has said before that although he's younger than most of his friends, he feels like he's more mature than they are. Patrick and I can only agree. I told him that I wished that he would be like Eric. All I have to do to make Eric feel better is let him play on the iPad or give him a lollipop, or even just kiss the boo-boo and put ice on it. That doesn't work so well for Anthony. Simple pleasures and simple solutions aren't the case anymore.

No comments: