Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Bad Day Can Always Be Worse

I was going to title this post "Bad Day" after my bad day yesterday, but then I realized that it could have been worse. I was already bummed this whole last week anticipating that I would have to be on call at the hospital all day and night on Saturday. When I got to work, it started out as usual but after a couple of hours I started feeling a little dizzy. At the time I thought I was just tired because I sometimes feel this way when I'm really tired. Luckily I had the opportunity to lie down, but after having to get up a couple of times to get some work done, I was more than dizzy--the room was spinning so much so that I threw up. I felt a little better after that but then I ended up throwing up again. To make a long story short, after getting my resident to start an IV on me and giving me some medications and then lying down a couple more hours, I did start feeling better--much better. I was so worried that I would have to call in the backup staff to cover me, but then I didn't think I could drive home either. Thankfully I didn't have to do that. I also realized that if I hadn't been on call, I would have been at the soccer field with DH and the boys when this all happened. Now THAT would have been horrible.

The rest of the day was fairly routine and even though I skipped lunch completely, I managed to eat a regular dinner. I also managed to get some sleep before we had to operate on a very unfortunate man who was the victim of an armed robbery. Things did not end well and again I was "bummed out" when I drove home.

Things generally get better when I'm at home with my family. As I drove into the garage, the door to the house opened quickly and my two youngest children stepped out and greeted me, still in their pajamas. Their excited cries of "Hi Mama!" just lifted up my soul. My mood sank for a brief moment when I realized that I hadn't seen them for a day and a half, since I had tucked them into bed on Friday night. Again my mood lifted when they rushed up to me and gave me hugs and kisses, without my even have to ask them. Even a good day can become a great day with some hugs and kisses! :)

I wanted to also mention a little about what I missed on Saturday. DH has more details about yesterday's soccer games in his blog. DS#2 had a 7AM game yesterday morning, which meant that they had to leave the house a little after I did. Both boys are wearing all-white uniforms for their home games this year, and I thought this was a good photo of DS#2 in his. DH said that the white uniforms looked impressive, even if they don't stay white for very long. By the way, notice the "tongue in cheek". DS#2 tends to do this when he's concentrating sometimes. I just hope he doesn't end up biting his tongue.

DS#1's team doesn't have a designated goalkeeper, so everyone will have to take a turn being goalie. During one game on Saturday, it was DS#1's turn. Doesn't he look intimidating? He's the tallest person on the team at the moment, including the coach, although there are several boys that are close in height. Apparently he took his position seriously and was more vocal than ever before, shouting instructions to his defense. I think he would make a great goalie, but he doesn't want the job. I just realized that I haven't seen either boy play yet this year. I'm sure I'll be making up for that in the coming weeks.

2 comments:

Catherine said...

I'm sorry work was difficult...that's always hard. The boys look snazzy in their uniforms!

Cynthia Baldwin said...

So what caused your dizziness??! Was it just fatigue? Sounds so scary.
Why is it that no one wants to play goalie?? No one on Nick's team even wants to play defense...everyone wants to be a forward and shoot goals. *sigh* I think A would be a good fit for goalie...not to mention the fact that he can fill MORE of the goal w/ his long arms and legs. ;)

Hope you're feeling better!
Love,
C