Monday, November 09, 2009

Ethical Dilemma

By now I'm sure that everyone has heard about the shootings at Fort Hood last Thursday, November 5th. The day after the shootings, they started posting guards at the hospital entrances to check IDs. They used to do this when I first started working there 7 1/2 years ago, but they stopped a couple or so years ago. Today, they started checking bags. My co-workers and I speculated that this was due to the fact that last Friday, they transferred the shooter to the hospital where I work. His presence has created a lot of talk. Some express disappointment that he lived, but others say that his living means he has not become a martyr. Some of us talk about how we hope that he won't have to come to the operating room so we would have to treat him.

One of the guys I work with (CH) was on call yesterday and was called to treat the shooter. CH went to medical school with the shooter and at the time thought he had been a normal guy. The recent events certainly put a strain on their meeting again. Of course CH treated him with the same professionalism that he would with any patient. I'm sure that everyone I work with would be able to put their feelings aside if called upon to treat this individual, but all of us are still hoping we won't have to deal with him at all. Until then, we'll be lining up to get our bags checked.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Isn't it sad how one person can change the lives of SO many people, not just those he wounded, or the families of those he killed, but you. All of you that now have to have bags checked, that hope you don't have to work on him, even though you know you'll set your feelings aside because you have to. It's sad, very sad!

Catherine said...

Wow! This has got to be so strange, and I can really understand the mix of feelings that have to be floating around there.

Momma Jan said...

Wow! I've been on Bonni's facebook page reading some of the comments there and never once thought of you being in the vicinity and being a part of this. I would not want to have to work on him...that would be quite hard.