Saturday, April 04, 2009

IPhones Are For Kids

I suddenly have that commercial playing in my head, "Trix is for kids!" Seriously, DH and I got our IPhones for ourselves, but the kids love them, too. I think it was Thursday of this past week, I walked into one of the office areas at work, and I found three of my colleagues playing games on their IPhones. Yes, our days were winding down, so we weren't jeopardizing any lives. A friend showed me this application called "Mouth Off" that she had installed on her IPhone and that her kids loved. You pick a "mouth" ("robot" mouth, "dog" mouth, etc.) and then you can put the IPhone in front of your face. When you talk, the program senses it and the "mouth" moves so it looks like your mouth moving as you talk.

This is a picture of DS#2 trying this "game" for the first time. The flash from the camera being reflected on the IPhone screen is obscuring the "mouth", but I thought it was still a good photo because you can see all the fingerprints from the kids putting their fingers all over the screen. DS#2 and DD are the ones that mostly play with this, but DS#3 sees them laughing and he can't help but laugh himself!

We went out to IHop for breakfast this morning because DH knows I love their pancakes and also so I could have a break from making Saturday breakfast. The kids were passing the time until the food came by playing with my IPhone. DS#2 and DS#1 were playing Hangman. I've been obsessed with the "Scramble" game that is pretty much like "Boggle", and I played that a few times, too.

This afternoon, DS#1 had a soccer game. The younger kids weren't terribly interested in watching the game, but I needed to keep them occupied so I could watch the game. Again, I let them use my IPhone. Here, DS#3 is actually playing a game where he is asked to choose a particular shape. It's so cute, but he can play all by himself. He doesn't always get the shape right, but then sometimes he'll get it right several times in a row. I almost think that he doesn't really pay attention to what the voice tells him to pick. He seemed to get more of them correct when I repeated what the voice said. Maybe he listens to me more? Maybe I just want to think he listens to me more? *WINK*

DS#2 also played a game called "Labyrinth" where you try to keep the ball from falling through the holes in the floor of different mazes. He also liked the piano one where you don't really have to know anything about reading music. It's sort of like Guitar Hero where the notes are above the piano keys and you press the key that the colored "note" is heading toward. DD played the "Mouth Off" game again and the piano game. Now the IPhone didn't keep DD from whining or from DS#2 and DD from arguing, but it did pass the time for them and it definitely helped pass the time for me because they were busy. DH and I have found the IPhone very addicting as well. We've both had to charge our phones every night!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Ah, technology! What did we ever do without it??