Sunday, April 05, 2009

School Carnival

The elementary school that DD and DS#3 go to, had their school carnival this past Friday evening from 6-9PM. First of all, what a horrible time to have any activity involving elementary school children. Secondly, DS#2 had a soccer game at 7:30PM and couldn't go to the carnival at all because of the travel and warm-up times for soccer. Luckily, he didn't seem too disappointed because he wanted to go to soccer, but he did express on Saturday night that he won't be able to go to the school carnival at all while a student there. Apparently they only have one every other year and next year he will be in fifth grade, his last year at that elementary school.

I didn't want DD to have to miss out, so I took the three other kids from about 6-7PM. The little ones stuck with me, while DS#1 hung out with his middle school friends from our neighborhood who were there, too. DD didn't waste any time plunging into the activities. They had several bouncy house-type activities including this small slide. Thankfully, DD took DS#3 up there a couple of times. He didn't want to go on any "rides" by himself, and it was probably a good thing anyway since there were a lot of kids that were larger and that would have easily knocked him down to get up the slide faster. Luckily, he didn't mind leaving the slide so DD could play some other games.

While DD was going from game to game, DS#3 seemed content to just people watch. At one point, he picked up a big rock and started playing with it. In this picture he's holding the rock with both hands and kind of waving it around. I had no idea why he was doing this, but he was content so I couldn't complain.

People I know are always so surprised when they learn that DS#1 doesn't do much texting on his phone. On Friday evening, I had proof that he doesn't text much and why. About 10 minutes before I wanted to leave, I texted DS#3 to meet us at a certain location in 10 minutes. The time came and he was nowhere to be seen. I tried texting him again, and then I tried calling him. The phone rang and rang and then went to voice mail. I called again and the same thing happened. Luckily, before too long, we saw him with his friends. He had the phone and vibrate and didn't feel it in his pocket. I still remember the time when he had it on an audible ring and one of his friends pointed out that his phone was ringing in his pocket. I teased him about why we bothered to give him a phone. :)

We headed home and DS#1 got DS#3 ready for bed and put DD and DS#3 to bed while I headed off to DS#2's soccer game. They tied that game in the last few seconds with a penalty kick (2-2). They were playing a team of boys who were a year older, so they held their own. DS#2's team has gotten a bit cocky in the past because they win almost all their games, so it's good to keep it real.

No comments: