Saturday, September 19, 2009

First Fall Games

Since last week's games were cancelled due to rain, we played our first soccer games of the season today instead (not counting the tournament at the end of August). First up was DD with her soccer game at 9AM. I have to giggle at this picture of DD on the sidelines. With playing 8v8, they had one sub and DD was chosen to be the first one to sit out. I think she was just grimacing because of how bright it was and not because she was unhappy. She was pretty excited for her first game today. DH and I would catch her glancing at us during the game and when she saw us looking at her, she would break out in a smile.

I caught DD at just the right time with this photo. I would suggest clicking on the picture to make it bigger so you can really see her scrunched-up face. At first, she seemed a bit hesitant when she was playing defense. Thankfully she seemed to get a bit more aggressive when she played offense later. Maybe that was just her getting warmed up, but she was running hard during the last part of the game. Her team is made up of 7-year-olds (U8) and they were playing a team of 8-year-olds (U9). We were prepared for her team to lose badly because of the age and size differences, but they ended up with 2-2 tie.

DS#2's game was in San Marcos at 1PM, which is about an hour away. This required only a short stop at home after DD's game before leaving for DS#2's game. DH and Grandma went with DS#2 while I stayed at home (sort of) with DS#1, DS#3, and DD. Unfortunately, DS#2's team played short because of illnesses, but they also tied their game 1-1. I thought this was a cool picture because of how DS#2's arms look like they're all bent backwards. In reality, he was apparently moving very fast and this is just what he looked like in a moment of time.

Back home, I left the house before DH so I could get a birthday present for DD's friend M. She was invited to her friend's birthday party. Thankfully, M has a really wonderful family. They let me drop off DD at noon for the 1PM party so I could go home and get DS#3 to take a nap. DS#1 ended up going to "hang out" at a friend's house until about 4PM and DS#3 ended up taking a three hour nap. I picked up DD from her friend M's house on the way to church shortly before 5PM. M's family not only shuttled her back and forth to the party but they also bought a stuffed animal for her and M to stuff (a la Build A Bear) at the party place. They were incredibly generous!

Because we went to church, we missed the first half of DS#1's game. Luckily, they won 1-0 despite some significant illnesses on their team. The other team apparently had some illnesses as well. If today was any indication, this is going to be a rough flu season for our area. One player on DS#1's team had to be lead away after the first half because he was gagging and vomiting. Another player is going to be a "maybe" for the game tomorrow because of the same thing. This is so unfortunate because DS#1's team is actually pretty good this year and would probably be likely to win lots of games. Thankfully they won this one.

Tomorrow I'm working again. DH will be traveling to Laredo, which is about 2 1/2 hours away, for DS#1's game. Grandma is staying home with the younger kids. It's just another typical weekend day during the Fall soccer season.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Busy, busy day!! :)