Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Parent Teacher Conferences

Today we had our Parent Teacher Conferences with DS#2 and DD's teachers. This meant that DH and I put ourselves together long enough to go out and meet people today. All the conferences went well. DH and I consider ourselves very lucky. For DS#3's conferences (since he has three teachers), they tried something new. They called them "student-led" conferences, which meant that DS#2 presented his work and how he was doing in each class. DH and I were a little unsure about this new way of doing things, but in the end, we think it was a good thing. DS#2 read from a script which had some room for personalization. For example, he called himself the "pillar of awesomeness". There were three or four of these going on in the same room at the same time and the teacher circulated the room answering questions. Basically, in all of his classes, DS#2 is doing really well but his teachers all had plans to keep him challenged. What was really nice was that DS#2 was there for that part of the conversation, so he knows what his teachers have planned for him.

DH went to DD's conference by himself so I could stay home and get DS#3 to nap. She is doing well in school too. DH and her teacher talked about how chatty DD is, and her teacher said that it seemed like her entire class was chatty. That seemed okay with her, though, because they apparently do a lot of group work where they discuss certain things. DD has never seemed as driven as her brothers when it comes to school, so DH and I have to remind ourselves that she really is smart and above her level in reading and math.

All of my day was spent with this young man. This is the position that he assumed while watching "Go, Diego, Go" on TV. He had quite a few screaming fits today with the same scenario over and over again. He would want something. Either I wouldn't understand what he was saying or he wouldn't say anything at all, but the result was the same. He would start screaming at the top of his lungs, and I would have to let him do that for a few minutes before I could get him calm enough to figure out what he wanted.*SIGH* The terrible twos are still here!

DS#1 went to school today. He didn't have a fever this morning and he wanted to go to school, so we let him. He made it through the whole day, although he did sit out of soccer practice because the coach knew he had been sick and didn't want to overwork him. He even stayed a little afterwards to make up work in one class that he can't do at home (because we don't have the expensive software that they use). When he got home, though, he had a fever to 102 again! DH and I aren't sure what we're going to do tomorrow, but if he stays home another day we're supposed to get a doctor's note. I just hate to see him sick. I have to go back to work tomorrow. I'm feeling better but definitely not at 100%. Wish us all luck tomorrow!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Wow, I hope this bug leaves soon!