Monday, September 21, 2009

Special Times With Grandma

Yesterday I was at work all day and night and DH was gone with DS#1 all day at an away soccer game 2 1/2 hours away. That meant that Grandma stayed with the younger kids all day. The kids got to invite a couple of friends over apiece, so apparently it got very chaotic. Meanwhile, DS#3 didn't nap and fought each diaper change. He threw fits when Grandma couldn't figure out what he was trying to say. DH and I have trouble with that too, but we're used to the fits and we send friends home when things get too chaotic.

Poor Grandma worked hard yesterday, so DH took her out for lunch today and then dinner. For lunch it was just DH, his mom, and DS#3. I was out cold! I had gotten some sleep last night, so I had some energy to go to the gym with DH but then I had to lay down. I didn't nap for that long, but I still really needed that sleep.

For dinner, we went to DH's favorite restaurant, El Mirasol, which is also one of Grandma's favorites when she comes to visit us. We all had a nice time and then after dinner we went to Baskin-Robbins. We were trying to make Grandma feel a little special on her last night with us.

I think this picture shows what will probably be one of Grandma's special memories of this trip. She was reading one of DS#3's library books. She enjoyed reading this book and he really enjoyed being read to. In this picture he is even pointing something out in the book. He's recently been saying, "That's funny!" and he even seems to be telling jokes. He'll say something and then laugh, which of course makes anyone listening laugh too. He enjoyed a few laughs with Grandma while reading this book.

Tomorrow Grandma goes home. We hope to see her again very soon, and hopefully we'll get to see Grandpa next time too. I never grew up around my grandparents but I really want my kids (and DH agrees) to know both sets of grandparents.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Awwww....fun times with grandma! Grandmas really love time with the SGBs!