Thursday, June 03, 2010

Adventures in the Dark

We had a big thunderstorm blow through at around 8:30pm last night. The younger kids had all just gone to bed. We were left without power for over five hours. There were so many things I needed to do, but what can you do when it's pitch black inside the house? Play with your wireless electronics, that's what. I played on my iPhone for a bit and I took this picture of Anthony playing on the iPad. We were all in bed by 10pm.

The worst part of the power outage was that neither Patrick nor I had eaten dinner yet. He had a frozen pizza cooking in the oven and I hadn't yet heated up my leftovers from a previous night. Patrick ate a cheese sandwich. I was about to just go without, because I really wanted something warm and I figured skipping one meal wouldn't hurt me. Patrick realized later that the pizza had continued cooking in the oven, so I had a couple of pieces. I was good with that.

This was going to originally be my picture for today. Patrick was at the soccer fields again for tryouts with the older boys. He took Eric with him this time. I went with Natalie to swim practice again. Her coach worked with her individually on the breaststroke, just like last night. Since Eric wasn't here to take a bath with Natalie, I took a shower with her instead. After dessert she began reading. She's become an avid reader this year, with her recent favorites being the Bailey School Kids and Goosebumps series that her brothers used to be interested in too. I think that's great because I can tell that her vocabulary is growing and because we have plenty of books at home in those two series. You can see on her face how much she's enjoying this book. Notice how she's sitting in the same spot on the sofa that Anthony is sitting in the top picture. They have the same expression on their faces. :)

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Ah, non-tech adventures. Isn't it amazing how fast we come to depend on technology?