Thursday, June 03, 2010

Fifth Grade Graduation and Parade

Alex's school had a special ceremony for the graduating fifth graders this morning. The woman that is standing is the current school principal, who is retiring after this year. Alex's two homeroom teachers are sitting just to her left.

All of the fifth graders then walked across the stage individually. Alex got awards for citizenship, academic excellence, and all A's. The medal is for getting all A's. I think the only reason why he is standing there on the step and actually looking at me while I take the picture is that they were told to stop there for photo ops. Still, I was surprised that he actually did it. If you look closely, you can see a slight smile on his face.

Then he received the President's Award for Educational Excellence, which is for getting all "E's" in conduct and getting an average of 90 and above for all his classes. As you can see, he didn't bother stopping on the step this time. Patrick had arrived by this time. He was late because he had to drop off Anthony at school. He left early, but the streetlights were all still flashing red from last night's thunderstorm and it took a good hour or so for the round trip. In any case, we hopefully at least have this one on video. ;)

I really had to laugh when he accepted the Superintendent's Award for getting a 96 and above in all his classes and getting "commended" ratings on the TAKS test, so I was inspired to scrap this series of photos today just so I could post it right away on this blog. As you can see, he gets the award from one teacher but by the time the other teacher has a chance to try to shake his hand, he is already looking towards the stage steps so he can leave immediately.

After the awards part, I snuck over to where he was sitting to get a picture of him sitting with his classmates. This was before he noticed that I was there. When he saw me, at first he wanted me to take his awards so I could hold them, but then he decided to hold them himself. I've always thought that Alex wore his heart on his sleeve. You can always tell how he's feeling by the way he's acting. This shows, however, how subtle that emotion can be. He was proud of himself so he kept wearing his medal and carrying his own awards.

He didn't want a picture with Patrick, however, but we weren't sure we'd have another chance. All of the fifth graders were about to take off for a nearby pool to have their celebratory pool party for the rest of the school day. Patrick will probably already miss Natalie's party at 1:30pm because Anthony gets out of school at that time today. This was right before the "parade" where all the other kids in the school lined the hallways to congratulate the "new 6th graders".

As you can see, Natalie was one of the onlookers during the parade. I missed the moment when Alex actually gave her a "high five" but I still like this picture because it shows slightly embarrassed but still adoring look and it shows Alex walking away and trying to ignore his sister as per his usual. It also shows how the other kids were all lined up and trying to get a "high five" from the fifth graders. What a cool tradition.

Alex refused a picture with his homeroom teachers who were back in his classroom at the end of this parade, but his fourth grade teacher from last year grabbed him and said that he had to get a picture with his "favorite teacher". He has said that she was his favorite teacher. She really made him love this "new" school that he started going to only last year. Patrick and I can't say enough good things about her. This happy picture just exemplifies his two years at this school and is also a great ending to this graduation post. :)

No comments: